Tuesday, January 17, 2006

she is the owl that has burrowed into my heart

Hi-ho, Matthew the Great here.

Today, instead of teaching, I got to go to a seminar held at a local nature center (the Okeeheelee Nature Center, to be exact. right down the street from my school). Between lectures/videos/presentations, I wandered, and lo! I beheld a burrowing owl. The little thing was in a cage, and when I approached it, it stared me down nervously, and jumped into a hole when I got closer. Its peering little eyes and skittish demeanor somehow reminded me of my sweet wifey. :)

Additionally, I was hissed and snapped at by a baby alligator, almost fed a really big bird a french fry from my hand (but changed my mind when I decided I wanted all ten fingers), and I had half a mind to steal a turtle.

CONTEST!
The first reader to correctly identify the celebrity/politician/fashionista in the background of this picture will win a prize!

12 comments:

grubedoo said...

Is it Andre The Giant?

The Goodfellas said...

no, guess again!!!! (should i maybe move the owl to show a little more of the picture..?)

Mrs. Van Houten said...

Please do. I want a prize.

grubedoo said...

Is it the Hamburglar?

mr mcfall said...

is it arafat?

The Goodfellas said...

Mr. McFall, aka Mark the Shark, has correctly answered the question. Yassir, it is Arafat! And it is beyond us how you knew. I mean, he is quite obscured by the object in the foreground (the burrowing owl). You win a prize: an all-expense-paid (except air fare, and other stuff) vacation to the exclusive Goodman Resort in West Palm Beach, Florida!

grubedoo said...

Mark knows too much. It's time we eliminate him.

mamita said...

I did'nt get a chance to enter the contest, Mark was just too fast for me! Can I still get part of the prize?

The Goodfellas said...

ooooh, i dont know, you'll have to talk to him about that. ;-)

Mr. McFall said...

I do know too much...keep looking over your shoulder grubedoo!!!! I'm looking forward to collecting my prize...you know, I'm getting pretty hungry for som Pollo Tropical, or maybe some chifles from that cuban place...maybe even a pizza from City Place...boy am I hungry!!!

The Goodfellas said...

your prize does expire! you better come quick!!!!

ps. keep yer eyes peeled for next week's contest! new prizes! :-)

mark and monsita! said...

Can't wait for the next contest, I'm sure I'll win!