Sunday, April 16, 2006

Anthony

On a very different note, tonight gave me such a reminder of why the resurrection is so important. The family of one of my previous 5th graders, Anthony, is in the news down here. Someone poured gasoline all over his mom, lit her on fire, and then locked her up. She's in the hospital now, and not expected to make it. I wonder, who does he go home to at night? Who is there to take care of him???

Sometimes the story of Christ feels so removed; sometimes it's unavoidable. In these days I - I don't know. I am appalled by what happened, it makes me sick to my stomach. And in these days I just fall on my face thanking God for who he is. Thanking him for how he made it possible to find hope in this shattered world; thanking him that when he promises to give us life, it's not a cliche but a reality, something I can feel deep inside me. On this day, I am so grateful for the cross, so grateful for the torn curtain, so grateful for the empty tomb, so grateful that he is there when Anthony goes home at night.

8 comments:

Dad said...

Jenny, I thank God that there are people like you who hurt when things like this happen. There are so many hurts in this world...yesterday I could only hug a man in his 70's who is loosing his son to sin. That pain comes right through and it's very painful...sometimes all we can do is pray and pray, but that's not a little thing...it's what God wants us to do. God bless you, and may He keep Anthony in his arms through all of this.

mark and monsita! said...

I feel so bad for the pain tha Anthony is going through. It is so hard to understand that someone can have so much hate in his heart to make him do an act like that. All we can do is continue to have faith in the Lord and believe that He will give us the strengh to see a tomorrow even when you think everything is hopeless there is always an open window. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help. Love you.

kelly said...

did you get my email??

The Goodfellas said...

i just did! thanks kelly!!! little elroy!!! :-)

mamita y papito, thank you for your kind words - add him in to your list of people you pray for at night okay?? :-)

PAPI me puedes mandar las fotos que tomaste el dia que veniste a hablar con mis alumnos?? me encantaria verlas!!! :-)

kelly said...

jen- i just sent those to you!!!

ningyo said...

I haven't posted since I don't know what to say about Anthony, except that I have to skim through the post since when I read it slowly it makes me feel sick.

But there's so much redemption written in your post, Jenny, and I'm glad a caring person knows him and recognizes God in his life. Whether or not poor Anthony does is what I'll be praying for...

The Goodfellas said...

yeah... well what i hate is i never get to see him - he's from the school i don't work at anymore. :-( it's funny 'cause a few minutes before i found out, i was thinking of him. i was walking around and i passed this guy who looked so much like him - could be him in a few years. something in the way he sauntered, eyes low, sheepish grin when he passed, kind of an unuassuming demeanor. same hair, too, and maybe even the same gold teeth?
i started wondering what anthony will end up like when he grows up. then this happens, and the kid i knew is gone, and i wonder how will he come through it? his heart was already becoming so full of hate.
i shouldn't say that. with him it was just an act, all the talk about wanting to be a thug and living out vice city. but then he was arrested a few weeks ago for messing with some little kids, and he was carrying a gun.
he's only 13. so yeah, do pray for him. thank you so much.

ningyo said...

*will do*