Thursday, August 17, 2006

No one even elbowed me!

I just got back from Piggly Wiggly, and as I was standing in line (after someone pointed out that I could be in the express lane, and after someone else let me cut ahead even though I was in no hurry, and after someone else gave me a coupon that I didn't ask for), I was thinking about how nice small towns are. How people are just plain nice. Then this older gentleman behind me started in, muttering about our bad luck in getting such a slow cashier. I was trying to think of something courteous to say when the cashier said, "Well Gilly, if you keep actin' up like that I'm not checkin' you out at all." To which Gilly responded, "Well that's what I was hopin' for, you can just put my groceries on the young lady's bill." (It was so funny!) Then, on my drive home, (as I was still marvelling at how different this is from south Florida,) a truck pulled out too fast in the rain and almost ran over some young guy on a scooter. I mean really, almost ran him over. The kid used the moment to re-light his cigarette, nodded to the truck, and then drove off.

I love it here. (Oh yeah, and the picture? That's Matt and Windmill-man; they live in Wisconsin and look how happy they are.)

8 comments:

Mark the Shark said...

Oh Jenny, how you made me smile!!!

ab said...

i do miss wisconsin.

The Goodfellas said...

are you coming back anytime soon? what did you figure out for the upcoming year?
ps. tell horatiu we say hi. :)

ab said...

i am not entirely sure what will happen, but it looks like there is a good chance you will see me in the midwest soon.

The Goodfellas said...

what's your email address these days? (you can send it to me at mine, if you want... pinkmapache@yahoo.com)
maybe we can all meet up! (especially because laurie will be here too! won't this be fun!) :)

ningyo said...

Yassa Yassa!

ningyo said...

I just went to the Togane "Yassa" festival--so I'm all "yassa" about us meeting up ^_^ only 3 months and some days!

kel said...

cute picture!! i agree, people are nicer up there!!