Thursday, May 03, 2007

Apparently I know no lullabies!

I was talking to my friend Irene the other day about how much her baby (Jose Guadalupe! So cute!) laughs. I said "Are all babies like that?" and she said no, but it helps if you sing for them when they're in your belly, and it helps if you talk to them a lot. Then, later that night I was talking to my grandma Lola and she told me the same thing! So, that night as I waited around for Matt to get home, I thought I might as well sing for the baby. The first thing that came to mind was "Pretty Connie" (Ahh, pretty Connie, pretty Connie my cow... For Connie will give no more milk to me now.) Then I realized that although the melody is pretty I didn't want to sing to the baby about a dead cow -- maybe something more upbeat right?

So what came to my mind next? Another one of my dad's classics, "Eleven cent cotton." (Eleven cent cotton and forty cent meat, how in the world can a poor man eat? Flour up high and cotton down low, how in the world can he raise the dough? Well water low, nearly out of sight. Can't take a bath on a Saturday night! No use talkin' when a poor man's beat with his 'leven cent cotton and his forty cent meat!)

So after singing this with gusto several times I remembered all the advice to talk to the baby, but I couldn't think of anything to say... So, I figured, well, I might as well explain the song right? So I started talking about the Great Depression and food rationing and how you used to have to mix in yellow tint to the fake butter and about how people used to only take baths once a week and etc... Then I realized that was a kind of strange for my first ever "conversation" with the baby. So I just kinda stopped, mid-sentence, and went back to waiting for Matt to come home. Hopefully when the baby arrives I'll be better at this sort of thing. :-)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

you look ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!!! i'm so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-kelly

Brian and/or Megan said...

soooooo cute!!!! i'm sure your baby will be as thirsty for knowledge as you.

The Goodfellas said...

ahh! i just realized! of course i know a lullaby -- pipon! that will be much better.

matt the other day sang "werewolves in london" for the baby and i think he liked it. :-) (or she.)

Brandee said...

We've decided- you two are the coolest parents! Your baby is so blessed to have you both. I can't wait to see how he/she turns out!

grubedoo said...

We've chosen to only sing 80's rock love-ballads to our fetus. We're hoping this will promote big hair and wildly colored spandex in our progeny.

Mr. McFall said...

How nice to revive "pretty connie"! Come on girls...how many times have we sung it!!! Let me know when to order the child his personal suscription to Newsweek. Maybe you should glue "fun facts" to his/her wall to entice the child! Brandee, I can see your child doing plays! Grube, it's not that I'm scared...but...! Just kidding, it's going to be fun watching all these kids growing up

mark and monsita! said...

It's good to sing anything you want as long as it comes from the heart!! Read him/her an article from newsweek, that will keep the baby entretain for hours, and it will give losts to think, just choose well!!

missy said...

you're so cute!!!!!!!
call me!!!!!

missy said...

ps that's not your belly button, is it??

The Goodfellas said...

no, that's the top of my pants! the picture kind of exaggerates my tummy, mainly 'cause that shirt is tugged down so low... but i like the pictures best when my belly looks big. :-)

The Goodfellas said...

OH GUESS WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!

i felt the baby move last night!!!! i think i have a little night owl! right around 11:00 pm the baby started wiggling and thumping, maybe karate-chopping a little, i don't know... it was crazy!!! matt got to feel it too! it was so awesome! :-)

kelly said...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mark and monsita! said...

That's great Jenny!!! How nice that Matt got to feel the baby also!!!

Brian and/or Megan said...

already on the way to ninja-hood!

The Goodfellas said...

i know!!!! that's what i thought, too!!! :-)