Saturday, July 07, 2007

How I want to learn Farsi!

I just finished reading The Kite Runner and it is so so so good. So good.

I was telling my mom the basic plot over breakfast and in the car, and by the time we were headed home we were both crying... And not only is it a beautiful story, it is set against the most amazing backdrop of the past 30-some years in Afghanistan and is worth a read if only just for that. (Should I tell you what happens in it? Should I?) This is from Wikepedia:

The Kite Runner tells the story of Amir, a well-to-do Pashtun boy from the Wazir Akbar Khan district of Kabul, who is haunted by the guilt of betraying his childhood friend Hassan, the son of his father's Hazara servant. The story is set against a backdrop of tumultuous events, from the fall of the monarchy in Afghanistan through the Soviet invasion, the mass exodus of refugees to Pakistan and the United States, and the Taliban regime.

Sounds so intriguing, right?

Okay. So: Have you read anything good lately?

4 comments:

The Goodfellas said...

Oh! Also "Crashing Through" is a very interesting read -- a true story of a guy who got his sight back after being blind for 30 years. Pretty good, pretty good.

Brandee said...

I read Kite Runner last year when I was pregnant and I would agree... an amazing read. Maybe it's not so good to read when you're pregnant though because it has some sad moments.

The Goodfellas said...

yeah, very very sad! but i liked how it was gratuitously sad, it didn't overdo those moments just because it could. you know what i mean? i liked how the author didn't sensationalize things, kept his story going. i just loved hassan!!! i heard they made a movie of it? i hope they cast him right.

Brandee said...

I agree, he did a great job of telling the story as true as it probably happened. The emotions were real emotions that a person goes through. I would love to see the movie, I hope the author has a big part in making it so it stays real.