Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Democrats fall in love; Republicans fall in line.

This has been extremely politics/current events free since the birth of my kiddo, which is a misrepresentation of how I feel. If I cared about things before, it has doubled now that I have someone in this world who will be affected by my votes. So I will take a slight break from showing off pictures of my son to type up a few thoughts.
.
I am tired of being a single-issue voter. I hate it. I hate obediently throwing my weight behind a candidate because of one single topic (which technically the president doesn't even have much say over.) I considered not taking into account abortion this election, playing a little game of Supreme Court Justice Roulette (they all seem to be in fine health), betting on the odds that this won't be the term where things change. I was even swayed by Obama's speeches on abortion, how he said that we need to focus on being proactive and work together to make abortion less likely to happen. As I thought about it I came to the conclusion that the blue politicans are really the ones who do more in terms of prevention. I almost had myself convinced. Then I read a recent post by a friend that made it black and white again, much more so than I wanted it to be.
.
As complex as this issue is, what disgusts me most is when politicans support this because of feminism. I will hear out an argument about what the government's place is in legislating morality. I will hear out an argument about how it prevents back-alley abortions. The one I can't stand is the outdated view that ending abortion is an attack on women. If feminists truly cared about women, they would be in an uproar about the recent finding that female babies are being aborted in India because women want sons. India's prime minister recently said "No nation, no society, no community can hold its head high and claim to be part of the civilized world if it condones the practice of discriminating against one half of humanity represented by women." He went on to call the practice "inhuman, uncivilized and reprehensible" -- and so far the feminists' response has been silence.
.
I wish they would choose a side. Stand for women or stand for a party, but don't pretend that it's the same thing.

2 comments:

MIUMIU said...

Nice to meet you, look at your blog sympathy.
And links to your blog please.
Waited for your reply.

http://vuitton-miumiu.blogspot.com/

grubedoo said...

Listen to Dennis Prager and see what you think. I like him b/c his priorities are truth and clarity over agreement. He never speaks hate and brings sound rational thought, philosophy and common sense to every topic (of which he covers everything). I've really appreciated his male/female hour, hapiness hour and ultimate issues hour.

In fact, I might go as far as saying I would like him as a mentor.

http://dennisprager.townhall.com/
You can listen live or to recorded talks.