Tuesday, August 12, 2008

14 steps in the staircase

Last night I was carrying Lucas upstairs to put on his striped pajamas and tuck him in, and as we walked up the stairs he burrowed his little head into my shoulder and wrapped his arms around my neck. And I walked up those steps thinking about how my dad had walked up them at bedtime, and his dad too. I thought about Lucas's great-great-grandpa nailing in those stairs, making them nice and sturdy, building them to last. I thought about all the men who have walked before my little boy, and how some day he'll be big and strong too. The other day Matt and I laughed looking at a stretched-out Lucas in a curved mirror, imagining him a few feet taller, a few years older. So much to look forward to, but for now, I'm glad he's small enough to cling to my shoulders.

3 comments:

mark and monsita! said...

How sweet Jenny, I hope he always puts his arms around you (even if he is 6 feet tall!)

Ginger said...

Awwwww, sweet! We're anxious to see how everything looks now that you're all moved in! I think it's great that you guys are living there and bringing the old house back to life! :)

The Goodfellas said...

well, we are not -quite- moved in yet, still have a little work to do on the inside before we can finish unpacking. soon, soon! i will invite you and chelsea and megan over!! :)