Sunday, September 14, 2008

You shoulda seen the other guy...

Well, Lucas landed in the hospital again. His poor little eye got infected, and the doctors were very worried because they thought the infection might spread to his brain. He had to have a cat scan and everything! He was so very brave and tried his best to make us smile, making his faces when he had the energy and doing little dances. This was after his first twenty four hours of complete lethargy, which was the scariest part. Then the antibiotics started to kick in and (thank you Lord!) he got better!

So that's the long and short of it, and here the things in between. The first night in the hospital, he sang a sweet, sad dirge. Then at four a.m. he did a dance for us, and then tried to give Betsy a kiss through the bedrails. He also gave me a kiss while they were taking his blood! He made me cry. What else? We prayed that he would be able to hold still during the cat scan, and he did! He just stared up while Matt sang to him Brandy ("what a good wife you would be.") Perfectly completely still and they got a good look and saw that the infection wasn't spreading. The next morning, he fed Betsy some of his sausage, and then fed some to Matt (which was a real gesture of love because he loves sausage.) I think I could ramble on and on about all the sweet things my Lucas did but alas, he is smiling and me and I must go scoop him up.

PS. Thank you to Ginger, grandma and grandpa, grandma Lola, Glen and Betty and Kyle, mom and dad and Jon and Betsy for visiting!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear! I am so thankful he is fine. Megan did not call so I knew nothing of this. Give him a hug from us. He has had a hard time! What a trooper!

Anonymous said...

these pictures made me teary.... how shocking and sad!!!! i'm so sorry little lucas was hurt! we're so glad he's home and better! we've been praying for you, tiny lucas!
love,
auntie kelly and uncle fernando

Lisa said...

Wow, how sad and scary. I'm so glad Lucas is better and you and Dad are still in 1 piece. My little guy was in the hospital for 3 days when he was a week old, and that is torturous for parents! Those cribs are awful looking. I cuddled Bren for about 99.9% of the time he was so lethargic the first few days it was awful. I don't think I've ever prayed so much in my life! I've heard my husband had a similar experience when he was about 2 - he had some infection in his eye, too and had to be hospitalized.

Ginger said...

I'm so glad Lucas is better and is back home where he belongs! The pictures are very sweet. And I LOVE the title of your post - hehehe.... Go get 'em, Lucas! :)

Abby said...

Poor Little Lucas! I am so happy that he is doing better though! That must have been TERRIBLE!!!!