Monday, March 23, 2009

This is where

I grew up, more or less. Right in this creek, at this very same spot. This is where Kelly and I would play Boxcar Children (I was either Benny or Violet, depending on who Kelly said I could be, wink wink) and we would find tin cans in the quarry and make soup. This is where we would send off our messages-in-a-bottle intended for faraway lands. This is where we skated in the winter. This is where we caught frogs and tadpoles and crawdads and water spiders. This is where we were chased by the snake and where Kelly got her leech (technically a little further back.) This is where our pony drank (and where he would get covered in burrs.) This is where I would take my chickens on walks. This is where I laid covered in mud in October for Kelly's "Origins of Mankind" movie. This is where we sailed our Barbies on yachts (our flip flops) and when they made it to the river, my dad would rescue them for us. This is where my dad taught us to how to walk through nettles, bending them back before stepping down (works also for poison parsnip, poison ivy, and poison oak of course!) This is where I would come to pick my mom her summer bouquets (which she was allergic to, but she never let on, she just got sick and let them sit out on the table.) This is where we picked blackberries and gooseberries and ate them until we threw up (at least on a few notable occasions.) This is around the bend from where we floated on inner tubes, where Kelly's toes got bit by hungry fish. This is where we have seen beavers and otters and bats and possums and foxes and of course we're fairly certain a few hobos and panthers live nearby too. This is the best place in the world, and I'm so glad that now it's Lucas's too*.

*That probably sounds incredibly sappy, but it's true. It just is. :)

7 comments:

mark and monsita! said...

What a blessing for all of us to have Lucas enjoy that very same spot!!!!

Anonymous said...

awwww!!!! i wonder if lucas will tell the lentejita who she can be in the game some day!!!!! it's just the job of an older sibling-- isn't it??? ;)
-kel

Anonymous said...

Don't you just wonder what Lucas will write about this place someday? :) Very sweet post! :)

Ginger

Aunt B said...

Such awesome childhood memories, Jenny! :) It's fun to think about Lucas enjoying your special spot as he grows up! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to keep this to read again and again on those rainy days that life seems to throw at us...thanks for the spice!

Papi'

Brandee said...

It truly is a magical place. I too had many wonderful childhood memories from that spot. It was a blessing to be included in so many of those adventures.

The Goodfellas said...

you should bring avery to play sometime!!! :)