Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Flaco gazes upward as he contemplates Romans 6:1-2

When Lucas was dedicated at church, our pastor* began his sermon by saying that it's hard to believe that someone so small and sweet is still a sinner. Lucas, who had been sitting there cuddled in a little curl, upon hearing this, let out an indignant wail. A shriek!
.
I was reminded of this the other night as Matt and I were brushing his teeth. Of course he hates it and clamps his little jaw shut and shakes his head no. Of course I jam my washclothed-finger through and scrub the backs of his teeth anyway. (Matt generally says "Hazmelo a mi! Me encanta, me encanta!" which makes Lucas want to have his teeth brushed for approximately .6 seconds.) On this particular day, though, I stuck my finger in his mouth and snap!, he bit down. He was like a tiny 8-toothed crocodile. "Lucas!" I said. "Eso duele! Me lastimaste!" (You hurt me!) He looked at me with his huge chocolate eyes and said (to my complete surprise) "Perdon." (Forgive.)
.
"Oh Lucas!" I said. "What a nice boy! I forgive you, I forgive you!" and he was so excited he heaved forward and back (causing Matt to almost drop him), shrieking a happy shrill bleat of a noise. He hugged me. He kissed me. My face was covered in his spit. And then he bit me again.
.
"Perdon" he said, looking at me expectantly. Timidly but trembling with excitement.
.
I didn't know what to do, but Matt**, who is much more clever, said "Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means!" Unsure of what else to say, I just nodded very solemnly. Lucas said "Okay" (in his long drawn-out way of course.)
.
We tucked him in and went to bed, pretending that he understood, whispering (as always) about what a wonderful wonderful wonderful little Boo he is. Sinner though he may be, wonderful.
.
*who is reading this! Pastor Steve, I tip my hat to you. You are the coolest. And I ain't just talkin' for talkin'.
**who claims he knows no verses,

5 comments:

B said...

oh my. i laughed out loud when i read this.


and then i thought, that matt & jenny they're such good parents. i need to take some parent-lessons from you guys before i ever have kids.

and then i thought, i really really like that lucas. what a funny kid.

B said...

oh, that was me, beth. i always forget to sign these comments

Anonymous said...

I hope you're printing out all of your stories, Jenny - you are a very gifted writer (just like your father!)! I always look forward to reading about your newest adventures with Lucas. :)

Ginger

mark and monsita! said...

Perdon .....perdon Lucas!

Anonymous said...

When Matt & Megan were little and a bit naughty, my father would always say "That's the Goodman in him (or her)." So you know what I'm thinking... Just kidding. Even those little teachable moments are precious!