Wednesday, July 15, 2009

You say potato, I say la papa...

So the other day the Flaco says to me "Papa!" I say to him "No Flaco, that's not a potato. That's a communist*." I was befuddled as to how he could make such a grave error, given that normally he is sharp as a whip. So he says to me "Papa!" again. "No Flaco" I say. "Papa!" he says, more urgently. "No Flaco, no es una papa" I say**. Exasperated with me, he finally says "Pope!" At which moment of course I realized he was not saying la papa but el papa - John Paul II to be exact - who, in the poster hanging above my grandma's bed, does bear a striking resemblance to the undecorated communist face. Thank goodness he translates for me.


...
*Follow the links if this makes no sense. Which I'm sure it doesn't!
**He did once confuse a guinea pig with a potato, but that is neither here nor there.

6 comments:

nikoniko said...

lol! That is sooo cute! When it comes to children, we can't deny their opinions.

missy said...

oh, that's funny. i wonder what language he'll teach loli in ;)

Anonymous said...

What a sweet face, what a smart boy!
BG

Anonymous said...

I just never know what I'm going to read here! Lucas, you're a real thinker (and funny, too!) :)

Ginger

Andi said...

He's so cute. By the way....is he standing on the table? :)

The Goodfellas said...

yup, that's the table, not the floor :)