Thursday, August 13, 2009

He cracks me up.

The first time Lucas came up with a sentence all on his own (as in, not something that I taught him to say*, but something that he pieced together all by himself) we were driving in the car with a high noon sun shining down on us. He looks up at the sky and says to me "Mamita, donde esta la luna?" (Where is the moon?) I of course explained about the moon's rotation around the earth and the reflection of the sun onto it and etc. etc.** but mostly kept driving, kind of baffled that my son, my little boy, was having a conversation with me. Since then it has been interesting to see what else he has to say. For example, he likes to tell me that his Grandpa Dan is "soooo cute." He tells me when I have dirty fingernails. When he woke up this morning, the first thing he said was (in his groggy little voice) "Mamita, besa mis pies, por favor!" (Kiss my feet, please!) When we went to the zoo he saw the potbelly pig, and he ran up to it and said "Mamita! Vamos a comer chanchito!" And then, in case anyone misunderstood, he said in his more limited English "Eat it!" Earlier that day, we stood under the apple tree and he saw a bunch of rotten apples on the ground. Brown and mushy. He looks at them and says to me "Mamita, la manzana hizo caquitas!" And then he runs to his auntie Megan and says "Apple pooped***!" My favorite, though, is when he says to Loli "No llores, hermosura" which roughly translated means "Don't cry, beautifulness."
.
He is too much for me.
.
*Because of course I've taught him all kinds of ridiculous things, such as (Me:) Who is the president of Russia? (Flaco:) Medvedev! (Me:) And who is his puppet master? (Flaco:) Putin!
**Kidding.
***I am actually embarrassed just typing that word. Go figure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is such a smart & fun little man!!! I love him! Can't wait to see you all this weekend. BG

christine said...

george says to helen, "no sadding, baby, no sadding!"