Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Immodest!

It is awfully Big Brotherish, I suppose, but I kind of like that search engines keep track of what you type and tailor your ads to you. Mostly I think it's interesting to see who they think you are. (Or rather, how off they are in their assumptions.) For example, the other day, I got a series of ads trying to sell me proper Islamic swimwear. It looked kind of exactly what you would picture: head covered, throat covered... basically everything covered but toes and fingertips. All the models lined up on the beach with their hands on their hips, the caption below saying that this was the new "form flattering" model available. I was thinking about this the other day when Matt asked me if my friend who wears a hijab "has her ears pierced under there." I was silent for a minute trying to remember her unveiled, and in the dark his voice suddenly added "Oh no, does that make me a pervert?" And we laughed and of course I told him I couldn't believe he could be so crass and inappropriate, wildly inappropriate. After sufficiently shaming him, I brought up a rather sensitive topic: our daughter's modesty, or lack thereof. Loli has a habit of lifting her dress. It's terrible, just terrible. She shows her bloomer any chance she can get. When we told her "Loli, you can't lift up your dress, you're a lady!" she merely responded "lady." (Seriously. Twice!) Which I suppose leaves us only one option: I am now in the market for a baby burqa*. Google, find me that.
.
*I am kidding, oh so kidding.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha - you are so, so funny Jenny!

Ginger

Anonymous said...

What a great picture! I do love your little Lady! BG

Anonymous said...

Supermarkets keep track of you too. The first time I bought toddler food for Alex they printed me a coupon for a pregnancy test. I thought that was awfully presumptuous! Just cause one's a toddler doesn't necessarily mean that the next one's already on the way. Of course, they were pretty much right but still!

Jenn

The Goodfellas said...

ha! i didn't know they did that. kind of funny :)