Saturday, October 10, 2009

Some words missing from English

Chochos is the word for people who would drive three hours each way to spend one afternoon with their grandbabies (for a better understanding of the word, please view Beeba's face as she holds Flaco, or Abuelo's expression as he gives Loli her bottle.) EngreĆ­da is the word for a daughter-in-law* who sits idly by while her in-laws do her dishes. And make her supper. And somehow still find a way to compliment her homemaking skills!
.
Niko niko is a word lacking in both English and Spanish, so I'll borrow a bit from Japanese. It's the sound of a smile, which is the sound one hears every time I think of the family I somehow managed to inherit.
.
*Full disclosure: I am said daughter-in-law. Bet you didn't see that one coming. I admit this to my shame but to their credit. And while I'm at it, I might as well also add that they also bring me stacks of Time, bring me pineapples, bring me doughnuts that they've carefully coated in pink frosting and coconut, and perhaps most importantly come with all sorts of banter that makes their visits much too few and far between.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow Jenny!!! I was just hoping for a new picture when I logged in this morning... Now I'm sitting here at WORK, with tears streaming down my eyes! We are so thankful for ALL of you, and delight in the way you and Matt are bringing up our most precious grandchildren! Seeing you is always worth the drive. We love you - Beeba

grubekl said...

I love them too :)

The Goodfellas said...

my in-laws? or my kids?
or both? :)

Christy and Randy said...

I do agree that you are blessed to have such wonderful in-laws. Randy and I had an amazing time meeting all of you and felt so welcome and loved when we spent last Christmas with you all! Even the dogs felt loved and welcome! We hope to see you all soon and look forward to spending more time with your lovely family!

missy said...

what a cute picture!!