Tuesday, December 15, 2009

What do you see in this picture? A man and his daughter or a chipped teacup?

I never got the idea behind Rorschach tests. First of all, I think they all look like splatters on a windshield. Or Georgia O'Keefe paintings. Or the guy from Gnarls Barkley*. But recently I read an article about ... you know what? I don't even remember anymore. But it was one of those explosive current events that causes everyone to be angry and take sides. And the article said that it was a true Rorschach test of our time, because all it did was cause people to solidify the opinions they already had. It added nothing to their thoughts, it only polarized. Everyone used it as an example to prove their wildly-opposite points. So then I finally got it, a Rorschach test takes something nebulous and causes you to have a gut reaction which in turn reveals something about you. Or at the very least, it causes you to blurt something out which shows a glimpse of who you are.
.
All this to say, I asked Flaco a question the other day which proved to be a bit of a Rorschach test. He was sitting in the cart. I was pushing him through Walmart. We were making conversation (puddles, bonbons, politics, otters) and it occured to me to ask Lucas what we should give Matthew for Christmas. And he said immediately, without a pause, without thinking, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world "A kiss from a puppy."
.
I don't know about yours, but my report reads as follows: participant displays high levels of sweetness, charm, and ingenuity; may lack in gift-giving abilities.
.
*You've sen this right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I started dating Bart my roommates invited him and his roommates over for dinner and to help us decorate our Christmas tree. Actually, we wanted them to fetch and carry our Christmas tree. But anyway. For dessert we had frosted animal cookies. My roommate held one up and said, "Oh look, it's a bear". And just to be contrary, I said, "No! That's clearly a giraffe" (which it clearly was not). She tried to convince me and I stuck to my guns that it was a giraffe. Bart said, "Wow! They're Rorschach animal cookies!" He and I laughed hysterically and then noticed everyone else looking at us with totally blank faces. They didn't get the reference. That's when I knew.

Anonymous said...

this has nothing to do with anything except that it's a cute story from my kids at school. one of my little girls came over to me very upset and said "tharin blessyoud in my face!" i said "he did what?" she said, "you know, he blessyoud in my face!" i laughed! "oh, he SNEEZED in your face??!!" it was really cute and obviously much better told as an oral story... but there you ahve it! ;) -auntie kelly

Team Davis said...

Jenny- I can't get over how cute Loli is! I love her hair and sweet rosy cheeks! Kelly- I love that story, i'll have to pass it on!

Anonymous said...

I definitely see a darling little messy-haired little girl! My favorite granddaughter!!! (and her dad, my favorite son!!!) Beeba