Sunday, January 03, 2010

Giddyup.

Well here it is, my friends. 2010. Matthew and I made all kinds of resolutions - we looked several years into the future and tried to plot out what our next maneuvers might be, how if we're just resolved enough we might end up with a nice clean checkmate. But life is fickle. You know? It's only January 3rd and already it's all been turned upside-down. I read an article where a diplomat said that making nuclear deals with Iran is like playing chess with a monkey: "You get them to checkmate and then they swallow the king." I was going to say that life keeps swallowing our king but I guess it's God. He swallows our pawns too. But do you know why he does? Do you? He does because life isn't a game of chess at all. It's a story, and he's the author. He has all these plot twists and character arcs, and almost every chapter ends with a cliff-hanger. It's like Gravity's Rainbow (which I've never read, but boy did I try to.) You lose your place, you can't tell who's coming or going; you don't even get the title. And then you eventually realize that you're not even the main character, it's him. And that your storyline is just a part of his; you're a part of this crazy, beautiful, glorious, unreasonable story of redemption with the best surprise ending written in history. And then what's left to do but let go? And what's left to say but take me and write me; write my story up or down or left or right but however you write it, be glorified.

8 comments:

missy said...

i love it love it love it! :)
you made this whole conversation *so* much more eloquent than it was before ;) haha!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Jenny. :)

Ginger

grubedoo said...

That's one of the finest posts I've ever read in the entire blogiverse ever.

Aunt B said...

sigh... :)

Anonymous said...

Does one put his own stroke on a masterpiece?

Saleh Sin Barba

thephoenixpages said...

Just what I needed to hear! Love the Gravity's Rainbow analogy...trust me, I read it, took a semester-log college class on it, and I still have no idea what that book is about, but I'm still disturbed by parts of it. And every once and awhile I'll remember a random bit of it and still try to figure out what it meant. OMgoodness, life is so not what you think it's going to be, you think you are getting it figured out and then, BAM! Chess with a monkey. And it's SO hard to just breathe in, breathe out and trust that He'll be there to catch us when we need it, and that yes, He's holding us in the palm of His hand... Again...so what I needed to hear...

The Goodfellas said...

hey, thank you to all of you who wrote encouraging words. :)

Anonymous said...

you're such a talented writer- and your words are oh so encouraging! i'm so proud of you, little sister!!! fernando said it felt like reading a magazine ;) you really should look into something like that!