Monday, March 08, 2010

Freshly emerged from a pyramid, he picks up his rolling pin...

Several months ago the Flaco, in a misguided attempt to help me cook a pot of soup, burned his hand on the woodstove. He asked me to sing him a song about the unfortunate event (to the tune of "SeƱora de Santa Ana" - he's very particular with his wishes), and I obliged. The dirge detailed how he wanted to see the bubbling pot, how he forgot the danger, how he got a blister, and how he wept. It ends with a resounding chorus of "Ay, pobre Lucas" sung with a tremble. As sad as it was, we were at least relieved to have it over with, figuring that he would remember to be careful the rest of the winter. But it was not to be. A few days ago, he walked by and absent-mindedly leaned against the woodstove. Just like that. As if it were regular. And oh, he screamed, and oh, he cried. I could not get him to stop. Matthew came in from the shop and held him until he was calm, but when he left, he wept again. (Until my dad came in; then, he covered his hand and said "It's nothing, Abu. I'm okay, it's nothing at all." He said he was brave "como un toro" and hid his tears. But when he left, he bawled again, and begged to be held.) Hours later, he was still crying, and shaking now, his whole body shaking. Loli was crying too, not knowing what was going on, scared to hear his howls of pain. He told her "It's okay, Loli! I'm right here, Loli! Don't cry!" with such desperate sweetness I almost couldn't take it. When Matthew got home from work (early, since I could not calm our son), he gave him a burn cream and wrapped his hand in a bandage. Lucas was scared, so Matthew told him that this way he could be part mummy. So my mummified boy with his mummified hand walks around now spilling his juice and half-playing with his toys, as only a one-handed boy can do. And as for us, we've set him up a play-kitchen where he can cook to his heart's content; his own little fake burner with his own little pots and pans. Our little mummy cooks and cooks. And the dirge? He will have none of it. History belongs to the victors, and this time he would like it noted that he didn't cry at all. According to him, he is both a toro and a momia; a mummified bull, that's my son.

9 comments:

grubedoo said...

Oh how I wish Lucas and Monty could grow up knowing each other ...

The Goodfellas said...

my sweet Lucas....oh how much I love you!!!

The Goodfellas said...

that was me Monsita on the previews post.

The Goodfellas said...

me too! i think the would be quite a formidable pair. :)

Anonymous said...

Such a sad lesson for such a sweet boy to have to learn twice :( !!
Can't wait to hold him Beeba

Anonymous said...

what a tiny little wrapped up hand!!!!! auntie k

missy said...

lucas!!

Aunt B said...

Jenny, you sure have a way with words! :) I hope that the little man's hand feels better soon...

Bethany said...

Cooper burned the top of his hand quite severely when he was about 2 on the storm door of the walk out basement. It soaked up the sun's rays all day & when he climbed onto it, in a second, the whole top of his hand had blistered. It was awful! However, I knew an old Indian trick the Kuna indians had taught my parents years ago in Panama.... Toothpaste!!! Plain Colgate toothpaste smeared all over the the burn til it's thickly coated. Let it completely dry & leave on as long as possible. It takes the sting completely away... that awful residual burning. It takes the red out & if applied quickly enough, will prevent blistering as well. Rinse it off when it doesn't hurt any more... rinse with cool water & carefully rub it off. If there is any sting left when it is all rinsed off & exposed to air, reapply where the sting is.
I'm sure Cooper had 3rd degree burns on his hand but we didn't take him to the ER & today all that is left is one tiny tiny scar in the middle of where the burn was. The part that took the longest to heal & he picked because, well, he's a picker my boy!