Thursday, August 26, 2010

Goodbye, Taller Omar

My husband has put in two years at the shop, becoming skilled at auto repair, bad puns, and Mexican Spanish. Sometimes he does all three at once. My boy likes to pretend he's a mechanic too: Come to my shop and I'll fix your car! he says. I need to find my other wrench. Oh, now I'm done! That'll be six hundred dollars! I'm glad he's so taken with it; someday we'll sit at the kitchen table and make little machines that meow or zap or spin like I did when I was little. I remember the first Rube Goldberg device I ever saw - an illustration on the back of a cover of Newsweek. I think it was an ad for Bacardi - this long crazy machine that ended with a gloved hand pouring the bottle. (I think, did I say? Of course it was Bacardi. Maybe that's half the reason I love rum cake so much, come to think of it.) I spent hours and hours year after year drawing increasingly complicated gadgets to perform the most mundane of tasks. Cars were an absolute wonder to me. To look under the hood and try to follow the transfers of energy, -I remember the day I understood the combustion engine like it was yesterday!- to try to understand how so many functions occurred simultaneously, perfectly, each mechanism purring, turning, firing, injecting...I felt like Charlie getting to see inside the factory. And my husband, he got to work next to Wonka himself in the hands-down-best shop in the world. And he knew I thought it was awesome; he would come home at night with his stained hands and casually mention calipers and pistons and trannies, a smug little half-smile on his lips, looking at me out of the corner of his eye. Now he's off to become a teacher-man. He'll come home and regale me with stories like McCourt's, and we'll sit at night scheming what to do about those punk kids, and he'll wear a skinny black neck tie and carry himself with swagger. It's time, I suppose. It's definitely time. But thank you don Omar, for these heckuvagreat couple of years.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That Lucas has flair!!!

The Goodfellas said...

ha! yes! puppy hat courtesy of Beeba (it was matthew's when he was little) and boots also courtesy of the goodmanskis. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, today I will deliver my response to this wonderful homage. I am very happy for your new future, though it is very hard for the shop to loose two mechanics at the same time. It has happened so fast that there is no hope for an “Indian Summer”; autumn has arrived and we can’t change that. You do not know the privilege it has been to work with Matthew for the last few years. What he undertook was no small feat. He walked into a job that requires a lot of skill and physical energy, working for his Father-In-Law in a multi language situation. Lesser people would have thrown their arms up and said “I can’t do this”. But no, this was not Matthew. He learned the skills, put up with the back pains, Spanish now flows from his mouth, and he has excelled speaking with puns almost to an expert level (thanks no small part to Don Omar, and much to the dislike of the Mapache). Yes, we all hate to see summer end…but at the same time I remember how beautiful fall can be. The colors all become more vibrant, and you can hear the sounds of leaves crunching under your feet as you stroll eyes wide open trying to record everything, trying to remember so that you can survive the winter. So yes there is beauty in the Fall season…although we are sure to be wearing jackets to warm us. Loosing my smallest mechanic will be very difficult, and I choose to keep those feelings to myself, very protected within my heart. (As a footnote to the unprepared, a pun was included in this post with the 5th word!)

Abu

Anonymous said...

I knew I'd find some beautiful stuff to read here today.....

I'm thinking of you all during these bittersweet days. Hugs all around!

(And I must confess that I did not catch the pun until I was told about it!!!!!!)

Ginger

monsemcfall@gmail.com said...

Well said Don Omar....we share a lot of the same exact feelings! I will miss everyone also!;(

Anonymous said...

love all of you so much!!! -kelly

missy said...

:)
i didn't realize about the puns!