Thursday, January 06, 2011

Nothing at all.

I have two strapping sons, who I call the boys. A lot of times when I say that, the song starts up in my head (which is a shame because I only know two words of it anyway); that song from Romeo + Juliet. Which, for the record, I haven't seen in a good fifteen years. I picture John Leguizamo crushing a match under his steel boot. Do you remember that song? Back when smoking was glam and not equated with yellow teeth and jittery hands. Romeo smoked throughout that entire movie.
.
And when I think of Romeo, I think of Matt singing along to Lou Reed. "Juliet! The dice was loaded from the start, and I bet..."-- bet? forget? I don't know what it says from there. But he does. He sweeps me away from the pan on the stove and spins me around. I am for once not too distracted to kiss him.
.
And when I think of that pan on the stove, I think of the day I came home to find he had made me a rack to hang them on. He made it out of thin pieces of bamboo, brass chains affixing it to the ceiling. I was so glad I had bought the red pots and pans instead of the black ones; they were only five or ten dollars more. They made me want to do my dishes instead of letting them sit in the sink; wash them up so I could look at them, all shiney and pretty.
.
And when I think of shiney things of course I think of Where the Red Fern Grows, how he trapped those coons before he had --who were they? Big Dan and Little Ann? I read that book and all I wanted was to be him. And then to drink a swig of soda.
.
And when I think of soda, I think of Inca Kola; straight out of a glass bottle, preferably warm. Tastes like who knows what.
.
And when I think of the Incas, I think of walking along the equator, high up in the mountains. I bought a shrunken head. I remember the guy who sold it to me telling me that only five years ago, they sold real ones. He had a long black braid, yellowed teeth. Looked like a smoker.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wondered how this was going to end, and now I know! You have a good left hook!

Saleh Sin Barba